NNY or Othique.. and McKenzie
2. About how long is your history as a Lolita?
Since I discovered it at the age of 14-15. I'm 22 now. So (does math slowly)
3. What first motivated you to do Lolita fashion?
I stopped giving a damn. I dress crazy anyway, why not continue the wardrobe?
4. After knowing Lolita fashion, have you had any time-gap or resistance till you actually started to be Lolita?
Yes, I dressed it when I was younger. Then I hit 16-17 and wanted to become a guy, so I saved money for hormone therapy and stopped wearing anything that would label me female. Then I "changed my mind" again? (Long story, hence the question mark)
5. Please define your Lolita style as much as possible. (eg. gothic Lolita, sweet Lolita, white Lolita…. Etc).
Right now all my clothes are gothic lolita, kuro loli or shiro-loli (more aristo actually), because I've been goth since I was 12. But I really want classic and maybe some classic sweet.
6. About how many Lolita friends do you have?
Lets try none. In fact I don't have much in the way of friends anyway.
7. What is the best thing about doing Lolita?
I get to be and do what I want. I've never cared about the thoughts of others. It's just continuing a long life of doing what makes me happy. It's me.
8. Conversely, what's the worst thing?
That I can't wear it to work-like settings in full-on loli gear. I'm working on some business-loli looks though. I got some good ideas for it.
Also that sometimes it makes me a target.
9. Which Lolita Brands do you like?
Innocent World, Juliette et Justine, metamorphose, Victorian Maiden, Miho Matsuda, Excentrique, Mille Fleurs and the list still continues.
10. What was the first Lolita item that you’ve owned?
A dress originally bought in middle school for the Valentine's dance. I got it before I knew lolita existed, but I still wear it today (yeah it still fits).
11. What is the “must have!” Lolita item?
Ummmm.... besides a cute skirt? I think maybe clean and healthy skin. I work hard and struggle a lot to strive for a smooth complexion worthy of my loli look.
12. Do you wear drawers?
Some times. When in a skirt I sure do. I don't want to be the next "Britney Spears" .
13. Do you have any favourite Japanese music?
I used to listen to a lot of Jrock (typical??) My fav male Jrock band is still Rentrer en Soi and female Jrock band is Exist Trace. Now, I kinda have gotten into more soothing sounds, doesn't matter where it's from. I still listen to my rock, though.
14. Where do you particularly visit as Lolita?
Candy shoppes (typical?), Tea Shoppes (typical?), Book Shoppes (surprising), clothing stores, etc. I'm not afraid to go anywhere. These are just places that I'm usually found. I also go clubbing in it, when I do go clubbing. I miss Denver Goth nights :/ .
15. About how many times per week do you dress as Lolita?
Currently not much at all. When I have my life in order then anytime I have free time. Dress up is like a relaxing meditation for me.
16. Please tell us about one embarrassing episode from the time when you were
just beginning Lolita.
I am bad at socializing, so I say things wrong most times. Other then that, I don't think I've had any wardrobe malfunctions or stuff like that.
17. What's hairstyle and color that you think Lolita would suite the most?
Any and all? There's styles for all hair colors and styles. I honestly get tired of seeing pink pigtails everywhere.
18. Have you ever thought of stopping Lolita? The reason?
No. I don't think I'll ever stop any of my styles. I'd just "sophisticate" them.
19. Please tell us your heart's bible as a Lolita. (anything like a book, magazine, CD, idol...)
I'm not really sure I have one. I really just want to be me. I guess I do get a lot of influence from my obsessive Victorian Era studies.
20. Do you own a doll? Tell us your feelings about her intensely!
Yes, I have a few. My parents liked to get me porcelain dolls that looked like me. So I have two that both have golden red hair and one that has brown eyes (it's hard to find a redheaded doll with brown eyes). I love them, actually. I've even taught myself how to make my own ball jointed dolls because I'm so fascinated by dolls. But I'm severely picky about them. Being an artist it has to be what I consider "good"... which is... hard to achieve, especially for me.
21. What kind of make-up do you wear when you wear Lolita clothes?
Foundation for a smooth complexion, mascara because my red eyelashes are pretty much invisible, a bit of shadow and blush on my cheeks and nose.
22. Have you ever secretly changed clothes in a train station bathroom on Lolita day-out?
No. It's too much of a hassle to bring an entire extra set of clothes. I do bring extra shoes though. I don't walk in heels a lot. I like having nice feet.
23. Are you composed when doing Lolita all by yourself?
define "composed"? Well mannered? Of course! completely put together? If I'm going out definitely yes, if I'm staying in, sometimes I won't do my hair. (It's still growing out from years of shaving it off so I can't do much with it)
24. How much do you spend in your Lolita clothes& accessary monthly?
None? It's more of a yearly basis. I'm not very good at spoiling myself.
25. What is the most expensive Lolita thing you've bought so far? How much was it?
Ummm... a petticoat from a second-hand store. So it wasn't much. I told you, I'm not good at spoiling myself.
26. So far about how much has the expense been for Lolita goods?
Ummm... that's difficult to say.. maybe.. 1-5%?? Not a lot. Most of my lolits is either self made or gifted to me.
27. Lolita outfit really costs money. How do you raise money to cover the cost of
It's called work. I know a lot of little lolis don't know what that means yet, but, give them time. But really mine is cheap loli. Hand crafted makes it 10 times better. Personal opinion.
28. Have you ever bought from an online store? If so, please tell us its good
and bad points and some advice for the future. If not, please tell us why not.
Yes, but it wasn't for loli. I don't like buying online, you never know what you're gonna get for sure. For my experience, lets just say if you don't want your nipples showing through your outfit make sure the top is padded before purchasing. >.<;
29. Even if you sort of want to keep it a secret, please clandestinely tell us
about a private manufacturer that is the best.
30. Is there a brand and/or an item that you think, "I could never get it! But I unreasonably want it!"?
Yeah... ALL OF THEM! Haha!
31. What do you think about people who only do Lolita at music-lives or cosplay?
I don't really mind them. As long as they represent lolita well and don't make it look bad, I have no problem with bad lace and shiny material that is put together nicely and doesn't look bad. I think all the elitism is high-schoolish.
32. From what age to what age is it acceptable to do Lolita? Do you think that there's a state in which someone must graduate from
Lolita? (you can answer as ‘never graduate’)
Any age any gender. I think it'd probably be best to "sophisticate" your loli when you start to reach wrinkle ages. Maybe even move into Aristo, but if they wanna do loli, then by-damn let them! I'm just lucky that I look very young for my age and can play it off.
33. Is there a Lolita fashion or behavior that you think "I don't want Lolitas to do this!" about?
I don't want them to act childish. Yes, you're dressed in a childish kind of way, but that doesn't mean you have to act like you have no respect for anything or anyone but yourself. Grow up and be courteous.
34. Is there something you think "Lolita has to be this way!" about?
No, I don't think so. I think people are too afraid to push the limits of loli sometimes. Everybody thinks you have to do it JUST like that one person who is admired for all her things and being able to wear all her brand. But, would the style ever have existed at all if somebody hadn't put it together in the first place? No... so stop trying to cage it in.
35. While doing Lolita, has something changed from earlier than you did Lolita?
I've become a little more accepting of being females and of the female role. Although sometimes a few attitudes I see floating around can make me depressed and sad that I'm of their gender or even species, I get over it. Cause I've started to remember, they're setting their own limits. Not mine.
36. Do you go to school/work as Lolita?
No, I was working in a company where I couldn't wear skirts or even shorts. But I don't have a job now, and really want to get into business, so, business loli style is in the works.
37. Do you wear Lolita clothes as casual wear?
Yup, sometimes. It's not extreme lace and ruffles loli, though.
38. Do you have a boyfriend (or husband)? Do you understand each other? (I think she meant “Does he understand you (as lolita)?”)
Yes, I have a boyfriend who I hope will be changed to fiance someday. He's very good to me and actually likes when I dress crazy. It's how he met me. Pigtails and all. It's the pigtails that hooked him too, haha.
39. What do the people around you think of your doing Lolita? Do they accept it?
Why should I care? I like the looks and comments I get from older people, they are so sweet. So they are the only comments I care about. Everybody else is too afraid. They set their own limits, not mine.
40. What kind of Lolita is who has impressed you the most up until now?
Um, I'm not sure. Sweet loli? But that's cause I don't like the current fad of huge prints. I don't really understand the question though. I'm not a person to have "heros" or people I wish to be like. Cept maybe Da Vinci, but I don't think he counts in the loli sense.
41. Have you ever made your own Lolita clothing or/and accessories? If so, what was the best item that you’ve made?
Yes. The best is a petticoat. And I still love my first dress, although it was too small. But it came out looking exactly how I wanted it to.
42. If you have an ideal Lolita outfit or coordination, please tell us.
I don't think I do.
43. Is there a motif that you think “this is a simple of Lolita”?
Maybe, I don't really acknowledge it like that though.
44. Would you want to dress your children as Lolita?
Kind of. If I were to have children (adopted only, of course) I'd want them to wear traditional Victorian era clothing
, so whether boy or girl they wouldn't wear pants until they reached toddler age. I don't see a point if spending a bunch of money on baby clothing that will be used for less than a few months. It's dumb and a waste of money.
45. What's your image of the ideal Lolita?
Imagine everybody going to the Victorian era, but with modern day ideas and morale and flairs.
Etiquette. Elegance. Modesty. Good stuff. Not being as annoying as possible just because you want to be a rebellious girl. I'm speaking from experience, too. I'm tired of the "I have to be tough to be a girl" attitude. If you've a strong personality, then you're a strong person. You don't have to act ridiculous.