ShibaAyame, but more recently, BLUScoutMama, and I'm from the gerater Philadelphia area.
2. About how long is your history as a Lolita?
Five years, maybe a little longer. I focused on casual and lolifying outfits in high school before graduating and starting to buy "real" loli.
3. What first motivated you to do Lolita fashion?
I'm an avid congoer, so the first time I saw a loli at a convention, I fell in love. It combined everything I loved about historical fashion without the impracticalities of modern life (for the most part).
4. After knowing Lolita fashion, have you had any time-gap or resistance till you actually started to be Lolita?
I did, the five or so years before ordering my first piece. I just started buying my loli this month, actually.
5. Please define your Lolita style as much as possible. (eg. gothic Lolita, sweet Lolita, white Lolita…. Etc).
Classic for the most part, casual when necessary, and sweet sometimes.
6. About how many Lolita friends do you have?
Two or three that I know in person so far, but I've joined a local comm and plan on getting to a meetup sometime soon.
7. What is the best thing about doing Lolita?
The way I can feel feminine and timeless and be different. It's a welcome change to the gothic I used to wear, and I won't be dropping loli anytime soon.
8. Conversely, what's the worst thing?
Lack of budget. I don't want to have to spend all of my graduation money on loli to get a workable wardrobe, but there's a few staples I need that I can't make on my own, namely shoes.
9. Which Lolita Brands do you like?
Mary Magdalene, Innocent World, and Juliette et Justine, with Angelic Pretty as my favorite sweet. (Although, my budget prefers Bodyline!)
10. What was the first Lolita item that you’ve owned?
A semi-handmade JSK from when I was a HS freshman. It was a maternity dress my mother wore but never got rid of, so I shortened it and gave it waist ties... it was only last night that I finally added a ruffle to the hem.
My first "brand" isn't even brand... it's a replica. Sugary Carnival in lavender from DoL. I love it so <3
11. What is the “must have!” Lolita item?
A good petticoat. So many newcomers try to go with no petti or a terribly deflated one, or one that's the wrong shape, or constant peek-a-petti... I still don't have my idea petticoat, but a rehabbed storebought one has to do for now.
12. Do you wear drawers?
Absolutely. My family's done civil war reenacting for years, so I just took a pair I already had, shortened them, and added lace. They're so comfortable!
13. Do you have any favourite Japanese music?
Anime soundtracks, mostly. Background music. Gundam Wing and Ouran Host Club have the best soundtracks in my opinion. That counts, right?
14. Where do you particularly visit as Lolita?
The park or conventions, or a local tea room. My fiance coords with me, so whenever we're out we always get a picture together.
15. About how many times per week do you dress as Lolita?
Right now, one maybe. I've got two workable JSKs, and a couple of skirts, but I do want to get up to semi-full time.
16. Please tell us about one embarrassing episode from the time when you were just beginning Lolita.
I took a wristcuff I found once, pinned back the snap attachment, and wore it on my head as a band headdress... for a school orchestra concert in eighth grade, when I had a solo. Terrible, terrible noob.
17. What's hairstyle and color that you think Lolita would suit the most?
Natural colors, in classic styles like buns, curls, braids, or straight.
18. Have you ever thought of stopping Lolita? The reason?
Yes, because of my lack of funds. But then I remember how my fiance loves it, and I can't say no to him <3
19. Please tell us your heart's bible as a Lolita. (anything like a book, magazine, CD, idol...)
Jane Austen novels, and other historical romance novels.
20. Do you own a doll? Tell us your feelings about her intensely!
I don't own a doll, though I wish I did. But then I remember a BJD would obliterate my budget even further!
21. What kind of make-up do you wear when you wear Lolita clothes?
Cream foundation, powder, eyeshadow, NO blush, eye shadow, mascara, lipstick in a neutral if my hair's down or gloss if it's up.
22. Have you ever secretly changed clothes in a train station bathroom on Lolita day-out?
No, but I have for cosplay before.
23. Are you composed when doing Lolita all by yourself?
Yes, because I've always been stared at odd for whatever I'm wearing. It's just that my style has matured from crappy secondhand goth to refined secondhand loli.
24. How much do you spend in your Lolita clothes& accessary monthly?
Not much, considering it's mostly selfmade right now. Although I just dropped $85 on my SC replica, and $30 on a blouse, and I need new white shoes...
25. What is the most expensive Lolita thing you've bought so far? How much was it?
My SC replica. But it was so worth it <3
26. So far about how much has the expense been for Lolita goods?
$115, so far.
27. Lolita outfit really costs money. How do you raise money to cover the cost of Lolita?
Babysitting until I can get a "real" job. Stupid economy...
28. Have you ever bought from an online store? If so, please tell us its good and bad points and some advice for the future. If not, please tell us why not.
I've never bought online, unless you count the sales_comm.
29. Even if you sort of want to keep it a secret, please clandestinely tell us about a private manufacturer that is the best.
I looooooooooooove Classical Puppets, if that counts. I'm gonna save up for one of their pettis.
30. Is there a brand and/or an item that you think, "I could never get it! But I unreasonably want it!"?
Juliette et Justine! Their stuff is so beautiful, but it's almost always longer length, and I'm short so it doesn't work out so well. That, and talk about a budget buster!
31. What do you think about people who only do Lolita at music-lives or cosplay?
There's nothing wrong with it. As long as they figure out that heels at concerts is never a good idea and realize that cosplay lolita isn't lolita (and try to wear it for non-cosplay events!) then I'm not bothered.
32. From what age to what age is it acceptable to do Lolita? Do you think that there's a state in which someone must graduate from Lolita? (you can answer as ‘never graduate’)
There is no cap on age! But I think lolis should be high schoolers at minimum, honestly. Because they have to understand that you need to work hard for your brand later in life instead of asking mommy and daddy to buy it for you.
33. Is there a Lolita fashion or behavior that you think "I don't want Lolitas to do this!" about?
CROCS. Seriously, get out. You shouldn't be gardening in loli anyway.
34. Is there something you think "Lolita has to be this way!" about?
The silhouette. If you don't have some poof, then it's just a ho-hum frilly dress.
35. While doing Lolita, has something changed from earlier than you did Lolita?
I've gotten a little more confident. And my fiance loves seeing me cute-ified, and we're ordinarily saccharine, so it just amplifies our cute-love together... if that makes sense.
36. Do you go to school/work as Lolita?
School, yes. Lack of job dictates a "no".
37. Do you wear Lolita clothes as casual wear?
It depends on the occasion.
38. Do you have a boyfriend (or husband)? Do you understand each other?
Absolutely 100% yes. I'm very lucky to say so.
39. What do the people around you think of your doing Lolita? Do they accept it?
My parents love it because it's strange but modest. My fiance loves it because he loves cute things anyway. I'm pretty sure my facebook friends are tired of seeing my loli-spam on their news feeds though!
40. What kind of Lolita is who has impressed you the most up until now?
OTT Sweet. I could never drop that much money on deco shenanigans.
41. Have you ever made your own Lolita clothing or/and accessories? If so, what was the best item that you’ve made?
Most of my wardrobe is selfmade! I think the best item I've made was a complete resize of (shudder) Bella's birthday dress from New Moon. I had to buy it three sizes too big because I wanted it that badly, so I detatched the skirt from the bodice, regathered it shorter, put darts in the bodice and raised the straps. It's a beautiful dress!
42. If you have an ideal Lolita outfit or coordination, please tell us.
A classic coord of a wine dress with black details (buttons and lace), cream blouse and tights, and a pair of black mary janes... and curled hair.
43. Is there a motif that you think “this is a simple of Lolita”?
I don't know what this question means o.o do you mean to ask if there's a motif that makes me think of loli? I think it'd have to be ruffled lace, I've always been a sucker for ruffled lace.
44. Would you want to dress your children as Lolita?
Nope. Although, I do reserve the right to dress them in sailor-themed outfits or coordinate their special occasion dresses/suits to match me!
45. What's your image of the ideal Lolita?
One who doesn't forget that her most essential accessory is her smile. It's cheesy, but I really think that if you're not smiling, you're underdressd!